Biscayne National Park (Florida, USA) is to establish a "soundscape preservation plan," the first of its kind. So far it appears to be a study of the non-natural environmental sounds, rather than any restrictions, so it's not yet up to the levels wanted by Gordon Hempton's "One Square Inch of Silence" campaign. As human-made environmental noises become increasingly unavoidable maybe there will be a higher demand for true silence.
The first "soundscape preservation plan"
- How would the USA fragment? 7 Jan 2009
- United States in 2028 9 Oct 2008
- Americatown 3 Oct 2008
- Recycling reversal and water diplomacy 2 Jul 2002
- The first light pollution law 6 Jun 2002
- A doubling of “non-religious” Americans10 May 2002
- Europe distances itself from US over death penalty27 Feb 2002
- DNA databanks without consent25 Feb 2002
- Environmental futures research grants available13 Mar 2001
- The future of the information revolution 5 Mar 2001